Monday, October 19, 2009

Post #7: "Local Markets of The World... ByWard Market Ottawa"


Historic ByWard Market Square, originally uploaded by Fun Lilliy.

This is from my original site "Travel Sights With Lilliy.com"

Transfer Post #7:

Original post and link:

Local Markets of The World… ByWard Market Ottawa


One of my greatest enjoyments even at home is going to the Local Market and that is no different when I am traveling. I look for them and I enjoy visiting them. I have a habit of picking up fresh local seasonal fruits that I nibble on during my travels as snacks.

The ByWard market isn’t your ordinary farmers market it’s actually one of the trendiest places to go to in Ottawa be it day or night. If you ever visited a resident of Ottawa and it’s your first night there, most likely the first restaurant that they will take you to have dinner at will be at this market area. When night falls you will find many different styles of restaurants with the tastiest cuisine from seafood to Asian, and price ranges from expensive to what suits budget pockets.

Day time you will be able to visit the many fashionable boutiques, coffee shops, and gourmet minimarkets. In the mid of it all the daily farmers market stands will be selling all kinds of seasonal fruits, vegetables, and homemade food. Spring which is my favorite time to go visit these local markets I enjoy the sight of colorful flower pots rows and rows of them that revive your senses. During this last visit which I traveled over seas I was almost tempted to buy a pot or two because you can’t resist the beauty of the flowers. I didn’t of course.

The history of this area which is the oldest part of Ottawa goes all the way back to 1812 when the British after the war choose The Rideau River for a waterway to go through between Kingston and Montreal as a precaution against hostilities from the Americans . They needed a canal to be built to bypass The Rideau Falls. A settlement was started for canal workers on the south shore of The Rideau River as there was only Wrightsville lumber town, but it was located on the north shore. Slowly a small town developed in the area between the river and the canal known as Lowertown the heart of it is today’s ByWard market.

If you are ever visiting Ottawa I am sure that you will not miss this lively market. It’s a must see…

Tomorow find out about the little hole in the wall eatery that I found in ByWard Market.

Suggested Links:
Ottawa Tourism
ByWard Market official site
Ottawa's historic ByWard Market Square official site

Write to you soon…

Expedia.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment