Friday, October 30, 2009

Post #9: "Talk about Food and Bistro… La Bottega Nicastro at ByWard Market"

This is from my orginal site "Travel Sights with Lilliy.com"

Transfer post #9:

Original post and link:
Talk about Food and Bistro… La Bottega Nicastro at ByWard Market


With a painful broken foot. It is not the best day for touring. But with the true spirit of a travel blogger it was important for me to get out and document my travels. So I did. I got off after an hour of a very fast half tour around Ottawa from the Hop on Hop off bus at The ByWard Market stop and started hoping with my clutches. After an hour of the turtle style walk. I was ready to sit down and have a bet of rest. Just as that thought was appealing to my mind. I saw in front of me tables outside with people sitting and opening up wraps of paper with delicious looking sandwiches. That just might have been my hunger talking. I looked behind the tables and saw a food market of some sort. I thought to my self may be they bought it from an inside sandwich counter. To my delighted surprise when I walked all the way to the back of the store I found a small deli around a kitchen and in it the cook (who as I understand is from Sicily) was preparing a small gourmet pizza. Ah that was just what I needed. I found a stoll to sit on right in front of the cook and ordered what ever he was preparing with a large glass of cool sparkling water.

I turned around and gazed at the area it had wooden chairs and tables filled with casual wearing shoppers sitting sipping there drinks chatting away. They seem like they know the eatery very well as some were sitting and giving their orders without looking at a menu. The Deli had a nice small bistro feel to it with an Italian authenticity. Neutral arched walls and dark colored wooden settings all set in a dimmed comfortable light. It reminded me of one of my favorite eateries in a small minimarket in Como Italy along one of the brick paths in the heart of the old town. The one person pizza, soups, and many tasty looking sandwiches at La Bottega had interesting very fresh ingredients and combinations. Some customers would make small conversation with the cook or waiter standing to take the orders. It had a homey feel to it.

I sat there for almost an hour resting sipping my drink feeling very happy that my hunger was filled. Then took my clutches and looked around the market. It was mostly filled with Italian imported, and gourmet food. Nice collection of crusty bread. Rows of olive oil. Defiantly a Mediterranean feel to it.

I love finding these hidden eateries because sometimes you find the best gourmet food that comes in the neck of time with the cheapest prices.

The name of this gem and literary a hole in the wall eatery is…
La Bottega Nicastro
64 George St.
ByWard Market
Ottwa, Ontario
Canada
Tel: +1 (613) 789-7575
Email: info@labottega.ca

Suggested links:
Check out their website they have a monthly Italian cooking classes for a fee. Posted recipes of the month. I am defiantly going to try the Tiramisu recipe its one of my favorite desserts in Italy.


Write to you soon…

Hotels.com by city, dates and number of guests

No comments:

Post a Comment